Internships at the Mechanism are not limited to law students. There are opportunities for students from many different disciplines to benefit from the experience of working with an international criminal tribunal to put their studies into practice. Maybe this is the opportunity you have been looking for!
Non-Legal internships are limited to the Registry. The Registry supports all organs of the Mechanism in the performance of their responsibilities through legal, administrative, policy and diplomatic support.
The Registry’s functions include:
- Court support services for Chambers, Prosecution and Defence;
- Victims and witnesses support and protection;
- Managing the United Nations detention facilities in Arusha and The Hague;
- Assistance to national jurisdictions;
- Monitoring of cases referred to national jurisdictions by the ICTY and the ICTR;
- Preservation of and access to ICTR, ICTY and Mechanism archives;
- External relations, including host country matters;
- Management of human resources;
- Procurement and facilities management; and
- Provision of administrative support to all sections of the Mechanism.
Internships can encompass many different duties across many sections of the Registry. Please see below the description of various sections within the Registry that offer non-legal internships.
Select a section below to view more:
How to Apply
All of our vacancy notices are managed in the United Nations' career portal, Inspira. Be sure to follow the instructions in each vacancy notice very carefully. Before sending it to us, be sure you have completed every section in the application in Inspira. Applications that do not contain all elements will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. A guide to completing applications in Inspira can be found here [PDF].
You may also be required to provide:
- Two (2) letters of recommendation;
- Copies of your university transcripts (including courses taken and grades received); and
- A sample of your written work, preferably in a field relevant to the work of the Mechanism, and no longer than ten (10) pages.
Each vacancy notice may have its own requirements so please read it carefully to ensure you are providing the correct documents.
There is no age restriction to be an intern at the IRMCT. Please note that children or siblings of a staff member are not eligible to apply for an internship at the United Nations.
Are you a law student who is interested in an internship with us? Maybe our legal internships will be of interest.
We look forward to seeing you in Arusha or The Hague!